Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) phone systems have seen a significant uptake in Australia in recent years. According to a market research report by IBISWorld, the revenue of VoIP providers in Australia has grown at an annualized rate of 5.5% over the past five years to reach $1.4 billion in 2020. The report also estimates that the revenue of VoIP providers is projected to grow at a yearly rate of 5.8% over the next five years. This indicates a strong adoption rate of VoIP phone systems in the country.
There are a few factors that have driven the uptake of VoIP phone systems in Australia. One of the main factors is the cost savings that VoIP systems offer compared to traditional phone systems. As internet infrastructure has improved in Australia, the cost of using VoIP has decreased, making it a more affordable option for businesses of all sizes.
Another factor that has driven the uptake of VoIP phone systems in Australia is the increased flexibility and mobility that they offer. VoIP systems allow users to make and receive calls using any device with internet access, including smartphones and laptops. This can greatly increase the mobility and flexibility of employees, particularly in the context of the recent COVID-19 pandemic, which has increased the number of remote workers.
VoIP systems can offer advanced features such as call routing, voicemail, conference calling, and more, this also has driven its adoption. Moreover, VoIP can easily integrate with other software such as customer relationship management (CRM) and enterprise resource planning (ERP) systems, which can help to streamline business processes and improve data sharing, making it more attractive for the businesses.
It can be said that the uptake of VoIP phone systems in Australia is driving the market for business phone systems, as more and more businesses are opting for VoIP systems due to their cost savings, flexibility, advanced features, and easy integration with other software. However, not all types of businesses are suitable for a VoIP phone system, and traditional phone systems are still in use, but the shift towards VoIP is certainly gaining momentum.
Standard VOIP systems may not be for everyone
There are however some instances where a standard VoIP Phone System is either not applicable or not a good fit without professional upgrade and custom programming.
While Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) phone systems can offer many benefits for businesses, there may be certain types of businesses that do not need a VoIP phone system.
- Businesses with low call volume: For businesses with low call volume, a traditional telephone system may be sufficient and cost-effective. In this case, the savings from a VoIP system may not outweigh the costs of implementation.
- Businesses with poor internet connectivity: VoIP systems rely on internet connectivity to make and receive calls, so businesses with poor internet connectivity may not be able to fully benefit from a VoIP system.
- Businesses with specialized needs: Some businesses may have specialized needs that are not met by standard VoIP systems. For example, a business that relies heavily on faxing may not be able to fully take advantage of a VoIP system’s capabilities.
- Businesses with strict compliance and security requirements: Some industries like healthcare and finance have strict compliance and security requirements, not all of VoIP providers can comply with that, and they might need to stick with traditional systems.
- Businesses that prefer to stick with traditional telephony: Some businesses may prefer to stick with traditional telephone systems because of the familiarity of it or because they have invested in it in the past and it works for them.
It’s important to note that the above are general examples, and the suitability of a VoIP phone system for a specific business will depend on many factors, such as the type of business, its size, the communication needs of the business, budget, and more. A thorough analysis of your communication needs, infrastructure and future plans will determine whether VoIP system is a good fit for your business. SJH Communications is happy to offer an obligation-free scope and give you an honest and technically qualified list of options and recommendations. Call 4044 2303 to discuss or make an appointment with our advisers.