Aussie businesses rely on our internet for a lot of activities that help bring money through the door. From online accounting and invoicing programs, to CRM systems and even phone systems, a connection to the internet is crucial for productivity. A connection to the internet can be fickle at times and, when facing the frustrating scenario of a dropped internet connection during opening hours, knowing what to do to get your business back up and running is crucial. SJH Communications have prepared a quick list of the top three ways to get your business internet back online in a pinch (no. “3” is an exclusive SJH solution!).
Tip #1: Troubleshoot Internal Network and Devices
When hit with internet downtime, the first step is to perform a basic troubleshoot of your internal network and devices. The key actions to take are:
- Check Network Hardware: Check that all your network devices, including routers, switches, and modems, are powered on and functioning correctly. Examine cables and connections for any loose or damaged components and fix them if necessary.
- Restart Modem and Router: Power cycling the modem and router can often resolve connectivity issues. Turn off both devices, wait for a minute, and then turn them back on. This simple step can refresh the connection and reestablish internet access.
- Scan for Malware and Viruses: Malware or viruses on your network can cause disruptions. Run a comprehensive scan using the reliable antivirus software, or the software provided by your IT department, to detect and eliminate any potential threats. Regularly updating and patching security software can help prevent such issues in the future.
Tip #2: Contact Your Internet Provider
If the previous tip failed and did not bring your business internet back online, contacting your internet provider is the next step to take: Here are some handy things to consider before calling:
- Check for Outages in your area: If you have a connection to the internet with a mobile device or are able to “hot spot” to a Laptop or PC, try searching for Internet or NBN outages in you area. Reports of major internet outages are usually reported fairly frequently and can be found quickly without needing to call your provider.
- Report the Issue: If the previous step is not an option or outages have not been reported, contact your business internet provider’s customer support team ASAP. Inform them about the problem and provide them with as much detail as possible about your troubleshooting steps and any error messages you encountered during the outage. They should be able guide you through additional troubleshooting steps or schedule a technician visit if necessary.
- Inquire About Temporary Solutions: While your business internet provider works on resolving the issue, inquire with them about any temporary solutions available. For example, your provider may suggest connecting to a mobile hotspot or utilising a backup connection if you have one in place. These alternatives can help minimise the impact of the outage on your business operations.
Tip #3: Avail your business of an“NBN Plan B” with SJH Communications
What is “NBN Plan B”? “NBN Plan B” is our internet back-up hardware that can save your business when there is no other option. Business internet back ups are an excellent tool for Aussie businesses experiencing frequent internet dropouts. They act like road side assistance for your internet and will activate when an internet outage is detected. If your current business internet provider is unable to provide you with a back up, you can give SJH a call and we can send one of our technicians out to your business and help you get back up and running with our “Plan B”. While we are there, we can also asses your network infrastructure for any issues you may be having and recommend cost effective solutions, tailored to your business internet needs.
SJH are here to keep you connected!
If you have made it this far, you are likely already aware of how disruptive an internet outage can be to your business or are likely in need of assistance right now!
Give us a call on (02) 4044 2303 to organise one of our experts to provide a “Plan B” and get you back online ASAP!